Thursday, August 25, 2011

It's Not Goodbye But See You Later

If you read my previous post, you will know and understand the circumstances that currently surround our church at the moment. On our 2011 Harvest Summer Mission Trip to Ecuador, a dear brother of ours was called home to be with the Lord. This post is to remember not what Tico did with his life, but what he has done and continues to do with his Life.

From a personal standpoint, Tico has encouraged me in numerous ways. From teaching me how to play bass to showing me what it meant to eccentrically worship the Lord, Tico was by far the epitome of a good and faithful servant. Tico taught me to love Christ and go into the mission field constantly wanting more. As a team, we learned the importance of living every aspect of our christian lives with a sense of urgency simply because we do not know when Christ wants us home! Through this happening, personally, Tico has taught me to love Ecuador for its people. I originally loved Ecuador simply because it was my first overseas mission trip, but Tico taught me to love Ecuador for the people that are precious in the sight of Jesus.

There was no way that all of the surrounding Amazonian villages were searching day in and day out, 5.30AM - sunset for just another missionary. The people who searched for Tico did so fervently because Tico was special to them. Tico loved them and they loved him back. Tico knew what he was called to do in Ecuador and he did exactly that. Tico taught the Ecuadorians the meaning of love and what life would be like had Christ not been in his. Tico showed the Ecuadorians what many missionaries work to do their whole life-time.

I can't thank you enough Tico for loving the church, for loving God's people, and for loving me. I'm encouraged and moved through your fervor for Christ and I realized that I was called to survive that day, so that I can come home, and tell your story.

For those of you who could not make it to the memorial service, this is what I had to say to and about my dear brother Tico.
     Our lives will be marked by either a tombstone or a testimony. A tombstone signifies the end of an individual’s life whereas a testimony tells of what an individual did throughout their lifetime. As we come back from Ecuador with heavy hearts, we return with a testimony to tell. Joshua “Tico” Kim is the epitome of a good and faithful servant. With Joshua, we don’t have a tombstone to mark his life, but we have a grand testimony to tell. Tico devoted every action, every breath, and every decision to his faithfulness to Christ’s calling. For many of us, Tico was a beloved friend, brother, and mentor but I’m here to remind you that Tico wasn’t our beloved friend, brother, and mentor; he IS our beloved friend, brother, and mentor. From as far back as I can remember, Tico has consistently modeled and represented to me what it means to be a good and faithful servant. From teaching me bass to giving me rides to never complaining, Tico was always happy to help.
     As I think about Tico and look back at pictures of Tico, not once, was he depressed, sad, or anything but happy however; I’m not encouraged by his ability to remain happy all the time, but I’m encouraged by his childlike faith and devotion to Christ Jesus OUR Lord. From delaying his graduation to serve the church, to going on countless mission trips, Joshua Tico Kim obeyed God’s calling, and obeyed God well. Every Sunday, Tico would come to church with a smile on his face and he would sing louder and more joyously than anyone else, ever Pastor Albert, during praise. Tico was a clear representation of Acts 28:31 when the gospel states, “He proclaimed the kingdom of God and taught about the Lord Jesus Christ – with boldness and without hindrance.”
            Joshua Tico Kim did NOT die in vain. As I stood there near the river, I thought to myself, what did Christ have planned with this? It was our last day in Lumbaqui, many had come to know the Lord during our duration there, Joseph was to go off to college in a matter of weeks, his mom was doing what she loved by studying music in Europe, and his dad was working to see both his sons go off to study what they loved. I wondered to myself, what did God have planned with all of this. I was reminded of the important of trusting in God once again. All in God’s timing, Christ managed to do things we never imagined. Christ used to Tico’s life to first of all, bring about transformation in his family.
            As I sat at home and prayed for Joseph, Mr. Kim, and Mrs. Kim, I saw Christ moving in their hearts, manifesting himself in their lives, eliciting a greater love, passion, and dedication for each other and the church. Christ also used Tico’s life to manifest a special relationship between us, the people of Harvest and Vision Church with the people of Lumbaqui, Sinangue, Cabeno, and other surrounding Amazonian villages. Christ used Tico’s life to open a door. Every year, we pray that God would open up the hearts of Ecuadorians so that we can plant seeds into their hearts; God is good. Christ used past teams, especially Joseph, to sow seeds of grace, love and mercy into the hearts of the Ecuadorians and this year, with Joshua Tico Kim, God used Tico to reap what Joseph and past missionaries sowed in the previous years.
            God is doing crazy things in Ecuador with Tico’s life both in Ecuador and in Orlando. I am so proud of Tico and the things he accomplished, and the things he is still accomplishing with his life. Pastor DL tells our seniors to end well. To devote their last days here in Orlando to the church, to invest in the youth, and to end well here at home, so that they can continue strong in college. This applies not only to our seniors but, to everyone. Tico went home to OUR father doing what he loved, serving the Lord and all I can say is that Tico did indeed end well. I cannot wait to see Tico again one day. Thank you Tico. Thank you for uniting the church, for showing us what it means to love, what it means to faithfully serve, what it means to trust in God, and what it means to fulfill the great commission. I am positive that right now, God is saying to Tico, “Well done my good and faithful servant. You may enter the gates of heaven and join me for eternity.” I promise to tell your testimony. I love you with you all my heart Joshua Tico Kim, you encourage me in ways that no one else can even begin to fathom and I can’t wait to see you again in heaven with our heavenly father.
Before I carry on, I would like to show you two snippets from Tico's journal to just show you Tico's heart for Christ and what he longed to do throughout his life.

Monday, August 1:
We only spent less than 24 hours, and yet, God has spoke to my heart dearly. I need to get out of my comfort zone... Would I do what God has called me to do? I think I will find out later, but I hope, and I am sure I will.

Wednesday, August 3:
I am glad God has given me an opportunity to be part of his ministry in Cabeno. Although I was tired, I gave my best....Our name and status on the earth do not matter, but heavenly award is what matters.

How awesome is that. Tico you truly inspire me, encourage me, and teach me what it means to love Christ and fulfill the great commission.

Words cannot express how much I miss you, how much I love you, and how much I thank you. I promise, with all my heart, to tell your story, to tell God's story; I promise to carry on the legacy that you left behind for us, the people of Harvest, to carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment